Monday, January 24, 2011

My 11 year old told me today that one of her friends was starving her self because she wanted to loose 10lbs. My daughter wanted to go excercise so she could be like her friend. I just cant believe that someone that young is doing that, I asked my daughter if her mother knew and she said yes I dont believe it. I told my daughter that it is good to be healthy and to excercise, starving your self at this age when you are growing and developing was not good. I am not sure how to talk to this little girls mom and not have her get upset and cause problems. I am glad my daughter is oka talking to me about things and she feels good telling me how she feels, she sometimes writes me notes if she just cant get the words out. She is such a good writter, I told her she would someday get published. She got 3rd place in the Spelling Bee and gets to move on the School District Spelling. She came home with a ribbon and she was sooooo happy!!!

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

that's so sad...I struggled with similar things at that age, it's hard. And it's really hard to know what to say to the mom. You never know if the girl is just saying her mom knows so you won't say anything, or if the mom has an equally skewed self-image. I'm sure you'll do the right thing.

You have such a wonderful daughter, and it's great that she is so close to you that she will talk to you about what is concerning her in her life. That is a gift and a blessing to be sure.

DeEtta said...

Chances are the mom doesn't know. I think you could just tell her what Talia told you and does she know?

It is a blessing when your children can talk to you. Keep up the good work. You are a great mother.